Speciality grade sparkling water decaf from Nicaragua grown by Julio Peralto
is backordered. We will ship it separately in 10 to 15 days.
1250 - 1560 masl
Ripe cherries are handpicked and sorted between December and March. There is a wet mill on the farm where the ripe red cherry is deposited and weighed from each picker. The cherries then enter floatation tanks where ripes and unripes are separated by density. The selected cherries are then pulped in a Penagoseco-pulper to remove the skin from each fruit, the water is recycled and reused in this process before entering oxidation ponds to remove bi-products. The sticky pulped beans then enter fermentation tanks for between 14 and 18 hours before being washed in channels. The washed beans are then taken to the drying patios at the nearby mill of San Ignacio where they are regularly turned by rake to ensure good, even drying. The overall drying process will take around 10 to 12 days.
1. The green beans enter a ‘pre-treatment’ vessel where they are cleaned and moistened with water before being brought into contact with pressurised liquid carbon dioxide. Whenthe green coffee beans absorb the water, they expand and the pores are opened resultingin the caffeine molecules becoming mobile.
2. After the water has been added, the beans are then brought into contact with the pressurised liquid carbon dioxide which combines with the water to essentially form sparkling water.The carbon dioxide circulates through the beans and acts like a magnet, drawing outthe mobile caffeine molecules.
3. The sparkling water then enters an evaporator which precipitates the caffeine rich carbon dioxide out of the water. The now caffeine free water is pumped back into the vesselfor a new cycle.
4. This cycle is repeated until the required residual caffeine level is reached. Once this has happened,the circulation of carbon dioxide is stopped and the green beans are discharged into a drier.
5. The decaffeinated coffee is then gently dried until it reaches its original moisture content, afterwhich it is ready for roasting.
**FREE SHIPPING OVER £26**
We endeavour to keep our shipping costs as low as possible. Our standard flat rate shipping fee is £3.50 for any weight by Royal Mail or Parcel Force 48 hour. If your order exceeds £26 we will ship for free